Thursday, November 01, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I woke up this morning to the sound of my doorbell ringing.

Further investigation revealed a man outside trying to unlock my front door.

This got me dressed.

By the time I got downstairs he was around the back of the house and staring in through the glass doors that lead out to my backyard.

He said he was a realtor.

I'm not sure why didn't I ask him for a business card. Probably because I just woke up seconds before.

Truth be told it didn't really surprise me there was a man standing outside trying to get inside my home.

There has been a "For Sale" sign outside in the front yard since June.

The house has been in pre-foreclosure for roughly the same amount of time.

According to some documents the house may have already been auctioned earlier this past week.

My landlord may no longer be my landlord.

I'm not too sure how much longer we will be here.

I really don't like living like this. Probably not too surprising. Not many people would.

Home is very important to me. I've always liked spending way too much time at home, wherever home may be. And so when this security and comfort is threatened I definitely feel it.

We've looked at a bunch of houses and apartments the past week. We did find one interesting place in a 1960's part of Las Vegas that has some character.

My wife and I also discussed leaving Las Vegas. I don't need to be here. I don't have to live here. Not at all. If we want out here is our chance. And for a few minutes today I think that became our reality.

Yet simply giving ourselves the freedom to leave may have been enough to calm that "get me out of Vegas" feeling.

With the present mindset our best move is to do a month to month or 6 month lease somewhere.

We still have a few more things to accomplish in Vegas.

Our new health insurance just kicked in and we need to let that go for a few months to do COBRA even if wanted to leave town.

I'd also like to rebuild my bankroll regardless of whether or not I'm playing poker full time in the future. This new home will decrease our monthly expenses drastically and hopefully give us the chance to save money.

And finally, and this is the silliest reason to stay, but I'd really like to finish the Second City acting/comedy program that we're doing. Right now we've completed 60% of the process.

If I were a betting man I'd bet that we do not spend next Summer here in Vegas.

But another 6 months might be just about right.

No comments: