Saturday, April 07, 2007

These are the players I play with.

Three consecutive orbits when I'm on the button I come in for a raise. And all three times I get reraised by the small blind who says to me each time (and I'm directly quoting him here):

"I have position on you."

He seems to think that position means you are the first to act.

Each time I call his reraise and tell him I'm only calling him because he has position on me.

The 3rd time this happens I'm holding the ace and 4 of clubs.

Flop is an ace and two clubs.

He bets the pot. Another person calls. I call.

Turn misses me. He makes decent size bet and I'm ready to fold.

But the second person calls again. And I still have position on the river.

This is one of those moments I like to call lazy poker. Especially because I'm already up 50 big blinds on the night. So I sort of have money to play with. I decide that I'm going to gamble since I can make my nights pay winning this pot if a club comes out on the river.

And if I lose then I'm just simply back to zero.

I also think I actually have good implied odds here. I don't think these players will give up on a big pot to a third club on the board. Cause that's how they roll.

Unfortunately I miss on river. I don't call his final bet. The other player does though. They both turn over ace jack and split my money.

And I'm back down to even on the night. Time to start over.

Some decent situations arise. Soon after I get ace 9 suited in the small blind. A bad player mini raises. I call. Flop is ace 9 6. This guy will pay me off so I check. He bets like he always does and I call.

Turn is rag. I check, he bets again, I call. Against a good player I might raise. But not here. We all know he's going to bet again on the river.

River is a 6. I check. He bets out but at least it's small. I say "at least it's small" because I really don't put it past him to have a 6 here.

I call and he shows me ace 6. Nice hand sir.

Another hand versus a bad player: I raise 6x the big blind with ace king suited. Everyone who limped preflop folds except for this guy.

Flop is ace, 4, 5 rainbow. He checks. I bet 20. He calls.

Turn is an 8. He checks. I bet 50. he calls.

River is a 10. He checks. I ain't going broke with top pair top kicker. So I check and turn over my ace king. I can see the expressions on the faces at the table. They all can't believe I didn't bet my ace king. How can I be so weak?

But then I look like a genius when my opponent turns over 6,7 for a straight. "Damn I wanted to check raise you" he says.

I actually feel good about this hand. I didn't lose alot. And I'll be honest. It's not that I put him on a straight. But after he called that bet on the turn he could have easily had two pair. I knew I didn't want to have to make a decision on the river if he check raised me. So checking it down was an easy decision.

So twice I've gotten into situations against bad players with the better hand and yet all I have to show for it is I'm now down money.

I tell myself that I will take their chips. It's a matter of time.

5 hours into the evening I order a beer.

6 hours into the evening my first big pair arrives. Pocket kings. I win a nice pot.

7 hours into the evening I have my second beer. I've been grinding and am close to even again.

For as bad as tonight has felt I'm relieved to only be down a few dollars.

I'm waiting for one good hand before I go home.

I beat pocket 10's with my pocket jacks and suddenly I'm back in the black. I'd be up alot more but an ace came on the turn and killed my action.

And then finally at 2:32 am I trap the bad player.

He's been raising all night with any ace. He does his usual preflop raise out of position. Only he thinks he's in position. This time I have pocket 5's on the button.

Flop comes queen, 5, 2. Thank you God.

He bets. I call.

Turn is a 10. He bets again. I call.

River a rag. He bets one more time. Big pot. I reraise all in.

He asks me if I'll show him if he folds.

I say no.

After taking a long time he folds. He says he had pocket kings. If this is true I'm actually both surprised and impressed. He says to me that he could beat ace queen.

He keeps talking about the hand for the next 5 minutes. I tell him he made a good fold. He asks me a few times if I could beat two kings. I tell him I had him and that if he could have beat my hand there's no way he would have folded.

And this is the truth. He wouldn't have folded a set of queens or tens there. And those were the only two hands I was losing to.

Everyone at the table disagrees about what I had. One or two think of them think I had two pair.

But mostly they all seem to think I outplayed him with a bluff.

Little do they know that I outplayed him with patience. It only took 7 hours.

No comments: